|
Mike Hedges MS welcomes news that Wales announces largest ever flu vaccine programme
Speaking from his Morriston Office, Local MS Mike Hedges said… ‘ I welcome the news that the Welsh Government is going to be funding the largest ever flu vaccination program in Wales. The crucial thing now is going to be to encourage people to actually have the vaccination as in the past take up of the vaccine’s on offer for flu has been sluggish.
PLEASE IF OFFERED A VACCINE, ATTEND AND GET VACCINATED’
|
Tuesday, 4 August 2020
Mike Hedges MS welcomes news that Wales announces largest ever flu vaccine programme
Thursday, 23 July 2020
Mike Hedges welcomes news that Use of wild animals in circuses to be banned in Wales after Bill passed.
|
Wednesday, 22 July 2020
MIKE HEDGES AM WELCOMES NEWS THAT CYSTIC FIBROSIS TRIPLE THERAPY TO BE AVAILABLE IN WALES
MIKE HEDGES AM WELCOMES NEWS THAT CYSTIC FIBROSIS TRIPLE THERAPY TO BE AVAILABLE IN WALES
Speaking from his Morriston Office, Swansea East MS, Mike Hedges said…. ‘ I welcome this news that this new therapy is going to be available for patients in Wales; this will hopefully lead to better treatment for people with this difficult condition. I have met people with the condition and their families who live in my constituency and I know they will be so relieved that new treatments are being made available.’
WRITTEN STATEMENT
BY
THE WELSH GOVERNMENT
|
|
|
TITLE
|
Access to Cystic Fibrosis Triple Therapy
|
|
DATE
|
22 July 2020
|
|
BY
|
Vaughan Gething, Minister for Health and
Social Services
|
On 30 June, I provided an update on access to Vertex’s triple therapy Kaftrio (elexacaftor, tezacaftor, ivacaftor) following the announcement by NHS England that they had reached an agreement to make the therapy available later this year.
Following my statement, that I expected the detailed agreement between NHS Wales and Vertex Pharmaceuticals to be finalised urgently, I am very pleased to confirm we have reached agreement with Vertex on the main elements of the agreement today following a period of constructive negotiations.
Importantly, this four-year deal will mean the more than 400 people with Cystic Fibrosis in Wales will be able to access the most appropriate CF medicine for their needs including the much anticipated, ground-breaking triple therapy Kaftrio at the earliest opportunity. Our aim has always been to ensure that each patient for whom Kaftrio is appropriate, will be able to be considered for treatment from the point at which it receives its European marketing authorisation later this summer.
I can also confirm that patients under 12 years of age will continue to benefit from the agreement reached last year giving them continued access to Orkambi, Symkevi and Kalydeco where clinically appropriate, with access to Kaftrio to follow if approved by the European Medicines Agency (EMA). The agreement also means patients with rare mutations, which fall outside of the scope of the EMA approval, will be able to benefit the range of treatments where they and their clinicians agree treatment is appropriate.
Whilst the commercial terms of the agreement are confidential, I am content that the agreement reflects equivalent terms to those agreed between Vertex and NHS England and importantly, reflects the value of these innovative CF medicines to the NHS.
I know this will be a significant, and emotional, day for patients and their families. I am delighted this announcement alongside our wider investment in CF services will contribute to a healthier and positive future for the CF community in Wales.
This statement is being issued during recess in order to keep members informed. Should members wish me to make a further statement or to answer questions on this when the Senedd returns I would be happy to do so.
Monday, 20 July 2020
Mike Hedges MS welcomes announcement of funding to help town centres recover from the Coronavirus pandemic
Local Member of the Senedd, Mike Hedges, has welcomed the announcement that the Welsh Labour Government has made millions of pounds available to support town centres as they recover from the Coronavirus pandemic.
Welsh Labour’s Deputy Minister for Housing and Local Government, Hannah Blythyn has announced that up to £5.3 million from the Transforming Towns programme will be used to fund adaptions in town centres to support traders and improve public safety in response to coronavirus.
The £5.3m fund will complement other support targeting town centre recovery including:
- Funding to support the running costs of Business Improvement Districts’ for three months.
Welcoming the new fund Member of the Senedd for Swansea East, Mike Hedges , said:
“I welcome this funding announcement from the Welsh Labour Government. We know that our town centres and high streets are facing huge challenges in light of the Coronavirus pandemic. This fund will be crucial in supporting our town centres and high streets to not just recover, but to build back better.”
The £5.3m repurposed capital funding from the Transforming Towns programme will be used to fund adaptions in town centres to facilitate trading and public safety in response to Coronavirus. This will include improvements such as outdoor awnings, seating, heating, screening, small green infrastructure schemes, electricity supply and lighting as well as the temporary use of vacant buildings and the establishment of local markets.
Mike Hedges MS added:
“These actions will provide a sense of wellbeing, safety and confidence to encourage people to return to the high street.”
The announcement comes the day before the second meeting of the Ministerial Town Centre Action Group which looks at how best to use existing funds and prioritise further actions and resources to bolster town centres in the short and long term.
ENDS
Notes
The £90m Transforming Towns fund, announced in January, set out a package of support for town centres building on the £800 million investment in town centres by Welsh Government since 2014.
This investment is delivering:
- Major capital projects which are repurposing empty property and land in town centres across Wales.
- Additional £10m loan funding to tackle empty and underutilised properties in town centres, which has just been opened for applications.
- £15.2 million and industry leading expertise for local authorities to address the issue of empty and neglected properties that blight our high streets.
- Green infrastructure schemes worth £9 million across Wales which will make town centres greener, more attractive and safer.
- Support for our Coastal Towns and Communities through the Coastal Communities Fund.
- funding for local authorities to introduce innovative local initiatives to boost town centres – these include a focus on marketing and branding (including shop local campaigns), master planning, embracing digital and tackling empty properties.
Wednesday, 15 July 2020
Mike Hedges MS welcomes New Covid-19 testing strategy for Wales published
- Contact tracing - to prevent the spread of the disease among the wider population.
- Delivering NHS services - to support the safety of staff and patients.
- Protecting vulnerable groups - to safeguard groups at greater risk of Covid-19.
- Developing future delivery - to use surveillance and new technologies to improve our understanding of the virus.
https://gov.wales/covid-19-testing-strategy
https://llyw.cymru/strategaeth-profi-covid-19
Monday, 13 July 2020
MIKE HEDGES PAYS TRIBUTE TO KEV JOHNS AND THE SUNDAY HOTLINE AS THE CURTAIN FALLS ON POPULAR SUNDAY MORNING PHONE IN PROGRAM
Friday, 10 July 2020
MIKE HEDGES MS WELCOMES NEWS THAT NON CONTACT SPORTS CAN COMMENCE FROM 13TH JULY AND WISHES YNYSTAWE, MORRISTON AND LANDORE CRICKET TEAMS GOOD LUCK FOR THEIR TRUNCATED SEASON.
MIKE HEDGES MS WELCOMES NEWS THAT NON CONTACT SPORTS CAN COMMENCE FROM 13TH JULY AND WISHES YNYSTAWE, MORRISTON AND LANDORE CRICKET TEAMS GOOD LUCK FOR THEIR TRUNCATED SEASON.
Speaking from his Morriston Office, local MS Mike Hedges said ‘ I know how frustrated local cricket people have been during the coronavirus period. Now the wait is over and play can commence! I am pleased Mark Drakeford has announced that non contct team sports can commence from Monday and I am sure local teams will be anxious to play as soon as possible. An extra word of thanks to people who have been doing work on the grounds to get them ready to play over the past few weeks.
I am sure local clubs will follow the new guidelines which will apply to cricket
I look forward to visiting the local cricket grounds in the coming weeks’
Note from Welsh Government Briefing
We are making changes to the regulations to allow larger gatherings outdoors of up to 30 people where these are organised and supervised by a responsible person. This will allow sports and leisure activities, such as fitness and dance classes, to take place outdoors, as well as collective worship. This will include charities, businesses, and sports clubs and a risk assessment will need to be carried out.