Friday 5 July 2019

MIKE HEDGES AM WELCOMES NEWS THAT SOUTH WALES POLICE ARE EXPANDING THEIR KNIFE CRIME UNIT.


MIKE HEDGES AM WELCOMES NEWS THAT SOUTH WALES POLICE ARE EXPANDING THEIR KNIFE CRIME UNIT.



Speaking after the announcement by South Wales Police on Thursday, Swansea East AM Mike Hedges said…. ‘like everyone I am shocked at the rise of knife crime; I have spoken to local police officers about the threat they face and to local school children about their concerns to do with knife crime. It is clear that knife crime is becoming more prevalent in South Wales and within my Swansea Constituency. I am therefore pleased to support the initiatives being taken by South Wales Police to challenge knife crime. I am sure that the £1.2 million will be well spent on working with young people in schools and on support for existing officers. It is important to work with children as young as possible so that they learn the tragic impacts of being involved with Knives. I look forward to hearing of the good work undertaken through this investment when I have my regular meetings with officers within my constituency.’







Note

A dedicated knife crime team in Cardiff is to be expanded and a further unit created in Swansea, South Wales Police has announced.

The expansion of "Op Sceptre" will be paid for out of a £1.2m allocation from the Home Office.

The cash will also pay for preventative community work with young people, and back-office support for the new teams.


No comments:

Post a Comment